Plasma surface treatment of medical plastics is used to increase the wettability of high-performance polymers which can be particularly difficult to print on and bond to due to their inherent low surface energy.
In addition, plasma treatments can deliver specific functionalisation of surfaces for e.g. protective coatings, barrier layers and to improve biomolecular absorption. Henniker offers a wide range of plasma surface treatments to the medical and life science industries to address these growing demands.
Typical Industry Applications:
- Plasma surface activation to increase adhesion for balloon catheters prior to gluing
- Plasma surface activation of syringes/hubs prior to gluing
- Plasma treatment of intra-ocular lenses prior to bio-compatible coatings or to make them hydrophilic
- Plasma coatings for functionalisation of immunoassays and cell culture media
- Ultra-fine cleaning of medical implants